You may have heard about T Levels and HTQs (Higher Technical Qualifications), but not really understand what they’re all about – or how they offer something different to the traditional 16-19 academic route.

Here, we provide a brief overview of T Levels and the brand new HTQs, set to rollout from September 2022 – to help professionals and parents learn more about these exciting new qualifications.

T Levels

Designed in collaboration with employers, T Levels are the government’s latest qualifications, aimed at training people for their dream careers while giving them significant experience in their chosen industry.

Set to be the next generation of qualifications, the two-year Level 3 courses feature a 45-day block of assessed work placement at a company in the field the learner is studying in.

The in-the-field portion constitutes around 20% of the overall programme, with the other 80% being in-class tutoring.

T Levels – launched in 2020 – are equivalent to three A Levels, but instead are focused on only one technical subject, helping ensure a more focused and specialised education.

A wide range of T Levels are already on offer with more being rolled out in the coming years.

Thanks to T Levels, young people will be able to take their first steps towards their dream jobs in technology, business, healthcare, accountancy, engineering, construction, manufacturing, media, education, and childcare.

With this selection of options, the government is hoping to bolster sectors which are currently facing a staffing shortage or industries set to go from strength to strength in the near future.

With each student guaranteed a 45-day work placement, T Levels offer an unrivalled ‘foot in the door’ to their chosen career as well as an opportunity to use learned skills and knowledge in a real-world environment.

Another bonus from the T Level qualification is the increased partnership between education providers and leading industry figures. This will produce graduates who are not only equipped to seamlessly progress into the labour market, but are also more like to get jobs quickly in the careers they are passionate about.

Introducing T Levels also creates a perfect opportunity to introduce cutting edge techniques and equipment to the curriculum. From the latest digital software to the most modern hardware, the courses will breed familiarity among both staff and students with new industry standards that they can take into their future careers and teaching.

Alongside these benefits, for students interested in continuing their learning, T Levels also act as a springboard for degrees and other higher education courses in related technical areas, including the newly approved Higher Technical Qualifications at Levels 4 and 5.

T Levels attract UCAS tariff points in line with three A Levels, offering learners the opportunities to access Higher Education providers, with more than 70 already confirming they will consider T Levels for entry into their universities.

In combination, these factors have meant that T Levels are already proving a popular alternative to more traditional, academic 16-19 choices, with many students opting to take these focused technical courses.

For more information on T Levels, visit

T Levels at Kent and Medway Colleges

EKC Group

Mid Kent College

North Kent College

Higher Technical Qualifications

Higher Technical Qualifications, or HTQs, are either new or existing Level 4 or Level 5 qualifications which have been approved by the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education as meeting occupational standards for the relevant sector.

Developed in collaboration with employers and businesses, these qualifications aim to ensure students develop the knowledge and skills they need to progress into their chosen careers.

The first HTQs will start being rolled out from September 2022; these will be in the digital curriculum, with 2023 seeing Construction, and Health and Science qualifications being introduced. A full rollout will take place over the next four years.

The Government has stated its intention for HTQs is to ensure that higher technical education becomes a high-quality, prestigious and popular choice for learners, with a system that gives both students and employers the confidence they need in this pathway whether taught in a further education college, university or private training provider.


With thanks to Jamie Weir, Director of Marketing & External Affairs at EKC Group

Lucy King

26 Apr 2022

Back Close mobile navigation