When looking to apply to university, it can seem that the support you’ve received during school or college suddenly disappears.

No SENCOs? No Learning Support Team?

We can assure you support is there at university, it just comes under different names.

It is very likely that any additional support you received in school and/or college is available at university.  

Schools and colleges tend to use the term special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) but at university we use the term disabled.

To help make understanding the terminology a bit easier, the National Association of Disability Practitioners (NADP) has created a table outlining some of the differences between language used at school/college and university.

Download our Terminology Guide

Find out more about STAART.

Dr Melanie Thorley

STAART Manager at University of Greenwich, and SEND PP Partner

Lucy King

10 Mar 2022

Back Close mobile navigation